Wednesday, August 15, 2007

On the right side of my blog, I have stated that I am the grandmother of 14. That isn't quite true.

Actually, I am the grandmother of 15. We had a grandson who was still born on August 11, 2001. He was not a full term baby and his death inside the womb was totally unexpected and unexplained. We found out the day before she had to deliver him that he no longer had a heartbeat. She went through labor and delivery and left the hospital without a baby! It was and is still a very sad thing.

At first, the parents didn't want any one else at the hospital. They later changed their minds and asked both sets of grandparents to the hospital....if they wanted to come and hold him. I did. As difficult as it was, I just had to go and hold this stillborn grandson. I wanted the chance to be with him, even if he couldn't know that I was there and holding him. I know, it doesn't really make any sense to me any more now than it did then, but I don't regret going. It was something I just had to do!

"An Angel in the Book of Life wrote down Owen's birth, and whispered as she
closed it, 'too beautiful for Earth'."

We had a private graveside service for Owen, and we were allowed by the cemetery to bury him on top of the vault in the same spot as my first husband.....his grandfather. It offers us some comfort knowing that we didn't have to leave Owen there alone.

6 comments:

River Rat said...

I just don't know what to say, I'm still crying.

Anonymous said...

(((((Martie)))))

To loose a child - there are no words.

Hugs

Martie said...

river rat and shawny sun ~ As hard as this was on us, the grandparents, it was 1,000 times harder for the parents, my daughter and son-in-law! Thank you for understanding....

Lori said...

This is so heartbreaking. My husband and his first wife (who was killed in a car accident) lost their baby boy exactly this way: in the womb before birth. She also had to go through the labor and delivery and it must have been horrible. He now has his mother in Heaven with him...but so unfair, somehow, for my husband to have lost them both.

JUST A MOM said...

How sweet and sad. um do you think I coudl borow some of them brandbabies? I still am waiting.


Nice to meet you an if you don't mind I would like to go back and catch up on some of yoru posts.

Tanya Siekman said...

I'm so glad you went and held your precious little baby. It's hard, I know. I lost three. In a row. I didn't get to term with them, but for me, it was devastating. It's just so unfair for everyone involved.

It's good to meet you!

Tanya